Kasol Kheerganga Trek- A Complete Guide
The trek to Kasol Kheerganga is famous for its hypnotic view and spell casting surroundings. Kasol is a popular destination among youngsters. It is also known as mini Israel of India where you will find Israeli tourists more than others. Kasol is 16000 m above sea level and surrounded by Himalayan flora and fauna especially Chirpine, Deodar and oak trees.
Kasol is the beauty of the Himachal and Kheerganga region. The popularity of Kheerganga is due to Kasol. This beautiful Himalayan hamlet is 32km away from Bhuntar which is a small town of Kull district of Himachal. Kullu district is also a famous tourist spot where the world-famous Dussehra Festival organized in during oct-nov depends upon the dates. You can visit the place in Diwali time and make the most of it.
Kasol and Kheerganga both are small Himalayan hamlets of the Kullu district and are known for its natural beauty and ambience of the place. Kasol is the starting point of Kheerganga.Upon reaching Kasol, you can start your trekking. Both Kasol and Kheerganga are two of the topmost favourite tourist spots in Himachal.
These places are the perfect place in all terms of tourist facilities where you can hang out with your friends during trekking and camping. The route of trekking is full of natural wonders. You will pass through lush green forests, landscapes, medadows, wide variety flora and fauna, enchanting rivers and water streams. During the trekking, you will experience golden sunrise in morning and sky full of stars in the night which looks like a big black canvass filled with glowing silver dots.
How to Reach
The trek to Kheerganga starts from Kasol. There are various ways to reach Kasol.
By Air- Kullu Airport is the main airport that is near to Kasol. From here you can switch to Kullu, Manali and other nearby areas. This airport is at Bhuntar where Kasol is about 31 km away from. It will hardly take 1 hour to reach Kasol.
By Train- As Kasol doesn’t have its own railway station, the nearest station is Joginder Nagar railway station. The distance is 144 km between Joginder Nagar and Kasol. You can take public transport or hire a private cab to reach Kasol from there.
By Road- Through various ways, you can reach Kasol by road. If you are coming on your own vehicle, then you can drive directly to Kasol. If you are coming via a bus, you can take a bus from Dehradun, Delhi, Rishikesh or Chandigarh. After reaching one of these, you can take public transport or hire a private taxi cab.
Attractions Near Kasol and Kheerganga-
Manikaran- It is a place where two kinds of religion meet in one place.
Distance from kasol to Manikaran - 4.3 km.
Barshaini- It is known for its natural surroundings as well as for Himachali village life.
Distance from Manikaran to Barshaini- 15.9 km
Tips for Trekkers:-
- If you are travelling from India, then no permits are required for the trek. International travellers need permits for the trek.
- Carry a light backpack with some warm clothes irrespective of the season
- A water bottle (3-5literes) and eatables like cookies, chocolates, etc.
- Avoid drinking and smoking. Keep yourself hydrated.
- Do not litter here and there. Keep the environment clean and green.
- It is good to rent a tent and sleeping bags rather than carrying along. You will easily get trekking gears from Dharamshala and Mcleodganj
- For stay, you will find a few govt. Guesthouses and forest rest houses at minimal prices. You can also enjoy camping there.
- You will come across small tea stalls and cafes which offer food, maggie, tea & coffee, and refreshment items. Enjoy it to the fullest
Things to Carry-
- Thermal inner pants and thermal inner wears
- Woolen Clothes
- Down jacket and fleece jacket
- 2-3 pairs of Woolen Socks and gloves
- Good Quality Hiking Shoes- with a good ankle support
- Full Sleeves T-Shirts and trekking pants
- First Aid Kit including the pain reliever
- Water Bottles and eatery supplements
- Thermo flask
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Power bank
- Personal Toiletries like a small bottle of shampoo, comb, body wipes- as showers are limited, toothpaste, toothbrush, etc.
- Energy bars, protein bars