Chopta- Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek
The Uttarakhand state of India is known for its fantastic tourist places and sacred places. There are several religious Hindu shrines there. This state experiences massive footfall of pilgrims and tourists every year. It can be said that this state hosts many heavenly places. Apart from a tourist or religious destinations, there are also some trekking destinations that amazes visitors. All these trekking destinations of Uttarakhand are just like a paradise for the trekkers. All these trekking destinations are of different difficulty levels,i.e, easy, moderate, difficult. All the routes are surrounded by lush green forest, alpine meadows, and snow-capped peaks.
One of the heavenly trekking destinations is Chopta-Tungnath-Chandrashila Trek. Chopta is known for its surreal green beauty and surroundings from there you can also experience the panoramic views of multiple Himalayan peaks. From Chopta you can enjoy the majestic views of Nanda Devi, Kedarnath, Bandarpunch, Chaukhamba Peaks. All these peaks belong to the Garhwal Himalayas. Chopta is located under the Kedarnath Wildlife reserves which are the home of many Himalayan species like Snow Leopard, Leopard, Brown Bear, Jackal, Fox, Himalayan monal & many more.
While trekking at Chopta you will visit three places: Chopta, Tungnath, Chandrashila. All these places are known for tranquility which any visitor can experience there. Tungnath is said to be the world's highest temple dedicated to the Lord Shiva. Chandrashila is the peak where you can enjoy the 360-degree views of Himalayas. Chandrashila is also related with mythology that once upon a time Moon God Chandra meditated here to appease the Lord Shiva during penance. The Tungnath temple is located at the altitude of 13,1000 feet above and elevation of Chandrashila Peak is 12000 feet above sea level.
Best Time to Visit
The Chopta - Tungnath- Chandrashila trek is an all-weather trek except for monsoon. Throughout the year the weather remains pleasant and suitable for trekking. Each season has its own specialty like in winter you can experience snow trekking while in summers as all flora and fauna are exposed which you can enjoy easily. The best time to visit this trek is April to June in summers, October to December in port monsoon season and for winter trekking January to March is the best time. As this is a high altitude place so during the monsoon period this area receives heavy rainfall so there may be the chances of a rainstorm and land sliding. It is not safe to trek on this route.
Activities To Do
At this trek the main activity is trekking. Other activities can be done here are Photography, Bird watching, Camping, Yoga & Meditation Camping. To stay away from the stress you got from the routine professional life it is the best place to rejuvenate the soul.
Things to Carry
- Lip Balm
- Body Lotion
- Trekking Shoes
- Trekking Poles
- Trekking Bag
- First Aid KitCamera
- Woolen Clothes
- Woolen Socks
- Woolen Gloves
- Extra Batteries for Camera
- General Medicine Kit
- Personal Toiletries
- Small Garbage Collection Bags
- Water Bottle
- Thermo Flask
- Dry Fruits and Snacks
- Led Flashlights
- Identity Proof
- Solar Charger
- Sunscreen Lotion
Try to avoid bad comments on co-travelers. If you face any issues then notify your team/group leader.
- If you face any health issues then tell your team leader immediately.
- As Shop/ Restaurants are not allowed in the valley, carry some snacks/dry fruits with you.
- Try to avoid activities that harm nature. Be a responsible trekker.
- Upon asking you have to show your id-proof authority.
- Do not make fun of any religious belief.
- Stick with the group and follow the instructions of the group leader.
- Do not misbehave with the staff at the entrance of the Valley/Park/Monument. If there is any issue then sort it out in a gentle way.
- Do not litter
- Carry a personal garbage bag with you.
- Obtain all the permits before the trek commencing. It will save time.
- Do not indulge in any activity which is against the Law of India.
- Do not carry any kind of weapon in the valley.
- Try to avoid plastic materials as much as possible. In case you have used it during trekking then do not leave it behind and put it in your personal garbage bag.
- Do not use any kind of toxic material during the trip it may lead you in difficulty.